Car and truck accidents are on the rise. According to reports, an estimated 388,000 truck accidents are recorded each year in the U.S., of which approximately 82% of the fatal accident victims were not the truck’s occupants.
When it comes to cars, in the U.S. alone, the number of accidents spiked from 2018 to 2022, from 36,835 fatal car crashes in 2018 to 42,795 fatal car crashes in 2022. The question is, when such accidents occur, who is liable? This article aims to explore the pivotal role that legal counsel plays.
Liability in Truck Accidents
Truck accidents introduce unique considerations into the equation. In the eventuality of an accident involving trucks, good semi truck accident lawyers in Reynoldsburg Ohio, or other areas, become a necessity. They are indispensable in helping to navigate such complexities easily. Some of them are:
1. Truck Driver Negligence: Truck accidents can be attributed to the truck driver’s negligence. Factors like driver fatigue, distracted driving or speeding can all lead to liability.
2. Trucking Company Responsibility: In truck accidents, liability often extends beyond the driver to include the trucking company. Legal counsel can help determine whether the company’s negligence in maintenance, hiring or training contributed to the accident.
3. Regulatory Compliance: The trucking industry is heavily regulated and compliance with these regulations is vital. Legal counsel can assess whether the trucking company violated any regulations, such as the Hours of Service (HOS) rule or maintenance requirements.
Liability in Car Accidents
On the other hand, car accidents typically revolve around the actions and negligence of the drivers involved. Liability is established through various factors, including:
1. Driver Negligence: It usually comes down to driver negligence. Were one or more drivers involved in the accident negligent in their actions? This might include behaviors like speeding, running red lights, distracted driving or driving under the influence.
2. Traffic Violations: Traffic violations can substantially impact determining liability. If a driver fails to obey traffic laws or signs, it can significantly influence liability in the accident.
3. Evidence Collection: Legal counsel plays a crucial role in gathering and preserving evidence, such as witness statements, photographs and police reports. These elements are vital for building a solid case or defense.
How Legal Counsel Assists
Regardless of whether the accident involved a car or a truck, legal counsel can provide invaluable assistance:
1. Expertise: Experienced attorneys understand the complexities of car and truck accidents. This enables clients to navigate the legal process easily and effectively.
2. Investigation: Legal professionals can conduct thorough investigations of the accident, gathering essential evidence and consulting experts when necessary to build a strong case for or against liability.
3. Negotiation and Litigation: Legal counsel is adept at negotiating with insurance companies, defendants or opposing parties to secure a fair settlement. In cases where negotiation is unsuccessful, they are fully equipped to represent clients in court.
4. Advising on Legal Options: Attorneys are skilled at explaining the legal options available to clients, ensuring they make informed decisions regarding settling or pursuing litigation.
5. Protecting Your Rights: Individuals may be vulnerable to the tactics employed by insurance companies or opposing parties after an accident. Legal counsel serves as a steadfast protector of your rights and interests throughout the process.